History of the Cumberland County Historic Courthouse
In 2015, Pennsylvania Cable Network (PCN), in conjunction with the County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania (CCPA), worked with key individuals from Cumberland County to produce this video of our historic County courthouses.
The Cumberland County Courthouse, built in 1846, is a brick structure with sandstone columns and an impressive bell-and-clock tower. On July 1, 1863, Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart demanded that the Union General William Smith surrender and he replied, "shell and be damned." One of the columns bears the mark of the artillery barrage that followed before General Robert E. Lee ordered the Confederate cavalry unit to the Battle of Gettysburg.