- Administration & Finance
- Fraud & Abuse Hotline
Fraud, Waste & Abuse Hotline
If you think you have knowledge of:
- Suspected theft or misuse of County property or cash
- False reporting of hours worked
- Submission of illegitimate vendor invoices
- Misrepresentation of expense reimbursements
- Mismanagement of tax dollars
- Fraudulent reporting of medical, disability or workers compensation claims
- Spending in excess of what is reasonable and necessary
- Violations of the County’s gift and gratuity policy
- Violations of the County’s purchasing policy
- Other suspected fraud or abuse
- Suspicious behavior—Fraud perpetrators often display behavioral traits that serve as indicators of possible illegal behavior. The most commonly cited behavioral red flag was “living beyond their apparent means”.1
YOU can help, because:
- U.S. organizations lose an estimated 7% of their annual revenues to fraud.1
- Governments are one of the most commonly victimized industries.1
- Organizations with fraud hotlines significantly cut their losses due to fraud.1
- Frauds are more likely to be detected by a tip than by other means.1
- For those governments that maintain hotlines, losses were reduced by 17% and duration of fraud was reduced by 30%.1
- Fraud and abuse are crimes everyone pays for!
- Significant losses due to fraud could mean:
- Increased taxes
- Decreased employee benefits
- Tighter department budgets
- Less services for citizens
- It’s your money. You can make a difference!
1 Source: Association of Certified Fraud Examiners’ Report to the Nation
This hotline works for you!
Your tip may result in a cost-saving audit or investigation…but only if you report it to us.
If you are a public employee making a good faith effort to report an instance of wrongdoing or waste via the Cumberland County Controller's Fraud and Abuse Hotline, and you have been or become discharged from, discriminated against or disciplined in your employment, due to your whistle-blowing conduct, you may be afforded protection under the Pennsylvania Whistle-blower Law, 43 P.S. § 1421 et seq.
Here's how you can report it:
- Gather as much of the following information as possible:
- Area where the fraud is occurring
- Person or persons involved
- Nature of the fraud/abuse – lying, cheating, stealing, etc.
- Date and/or duration of occurrences
- Approximate dollar amount/value involved
- Any other witnesses
- Submit your tip electronically using our online form.
- Mail your tip to:
Fraud Hotline, P.O. Box 1079, Carlisle, PA 17013
(Restricted access to this PO Box is strictly enforced!)
- Call (717) 240-6192
- Fax (717) 240-6572