Pennsylvania Veterans Benefits

Information obtained from PA Department of Military and Veteran Affairs.

Emergency Assistance

Veterans’ emergency assistance provides financial aid in an emergency on a temporary basis (not to exceed a three month period) to veterans, their widows, infant children, or dependents who reside in Pennsylvania for the necessities of life (food, dairy, fuel & clothing). An honorably discharged veteran must have served in the Armed Forces of the United States during established war service dates or during peacetime hostile fire or terrorist attack as determined by the Department of Military Affairs. Upon recent death of a veteran, their widow or orphan children are eligible provided the veteran would have qualified prior to their death. Contact us for application and assistance.

Educational Gratuity

Payment of Educational Gratuities are for children of honorably discharged veterans who have been certified by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as having wartime service-connected disabilities rated as totally and permanently disabling or children of veterans who die or died in service during a period of war or armed conflict. Children must be between the ages of sixteen (16) through twenty-three (23), living within this Commonwealth five (5) years prior to the application and must attend a school within this Commonwealth to be eligible for this Educational Gratuity. Contact us for application and assistance.

Real Estate Tax Exemption

 Any honorably discharged veteran who is a resident of the Commonwealth shall be exempt from the payment of all real estate taxes levied upon any building, including the land upon which it stands, occupied by the veteran as their principal dwelling, provided that as a result of wartime military service the veteran has a 100% service-connected disability rating by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs; that such dwelling is owned by the veteran solely or jointly with their spouse (an estate by the entirety) and the FINANCIAL NEED for exemption from payment of real estate taxes has been determined by the State Veterans Commission. Upon death of the qualified veteran, the exemption passes on to the unmarried surviving spouse if the need can be shown. Contact us for application and assistance.

Blind Veterans' Pension

Provides for a pension of $150 per month for a person who served in the military or naval forces of the United States or a women’s organization officially connected therewith, who gave the Commonwealth as their place of residence when entering the military and while performing duties connected with the service, suffered an injury or incurred a disease which resulted in loss of vision so that the visual acuity with the best correcting lens is 3/60 or 10/200 or equivalent, or less normal vision in the better eye. Less normal vision than 3/60 or 10/200, or equivalent includes circumstances where the widest diameter of the visual field of the better eye has contracted to such an extent that it subtends an angular distance of not greater than 20 degrees. The term does not include a person separated from the military or naval forces of the United States or a women’s organization officially connected therewith under other than honorable conditions. Contact us for application and assistance.

Paralyzed Veterans' Pension

Provides for a pension of $150 per month for any person separated under honorable conditions from the Armed Forces of the United States, who gave the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as their place of residence at time of entering the military or naval forces of the United States. Veterans qualify for the pension if they suffered an injury or disease resulting in the loss or loss of use of two or more extremities (arms/hands or legs/feet) during an established period of war or armed conflict or as a result of hostilities during combat-related activities in peacetime. Contact us for application and assistance.

State Veterans Homes

Pennsylvania operates seven Veterans Homes throughout the Commonwealth. Veterans must have served in the Armed Forces of the United States or Pennsylvania Military Forces, and have been released from service under honorable conditions. The veteran must be a bona fide resident of this Commonwealth upon making application. Applications are processed on a “first come, first serve” basis. For information or application contact us, one the following homes, or Department of Military and Veterans Affairs directly:

State Veterans Homes

Hollidaysburg Veterans Home

P.O. Box 319

Hollidaysburg, PA 16648-0319

Tel: 814.696.5260

Pennsylvania Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home

560 E. Third Street

Erie, PA 16512-6239

Tel: 814.871.4531

Southeastern Veterans Center

One Veterans Drive

Spring City, PA 19475-1230

Tel: 610.948.2400

Gino J. Merli Veterans Center

401 Penn Avenue

Scranton, PA 18530-1239

Tel: 570.961.4300

Southwestern Veterans Center

7060 Highland Drive

Pittsburg, PA 15206-1259

Tel: 412.665.6707

Delaware Valley Veterans Home

2701 Southampton Road

Philadelphia, PA 19154-1205

Tel: 215.965.0301

Department of Military and Veterans Affairs

Tel: 717.861.8906

Grants For Veterans and POW/MIA Dependents

 Please call toll free: 1.800.692.7435 for information.

CIVIL SERVICE PREFERENCE For information, please contact the: Civil Service Commission P.O. Box 569 Harrisburg, PA 17120-0569 Tel: 717.787.6039

Birth and Death Records

Records are available free of charge to veterans. For information please contact: Division of Vital Records Central Building, Ste. 401 101 S. Mercer St. New Castle, PA 16101 Tel: 724.656.3100

Vehicle Registration for Severely Disabled Veterans

Applications for any special license plates/parking placards can be obtained from the county Director of Veterans Affairs & Services, any state Bureau for Veterans Affairs Office, or by calling the Department of Transportation at 800.932.4600. Applications may also be obtained via the PA DMV Website

Veterans Employment

Veterans’ employment representatives are located throughout the Commonwealth at Career Link Job Centers to assist with job counseling and placement information. The Career Link Job center in Cumberland County is located at 1 Alexander Spring Rd., Carlisle, PA 17013. The Veterans Employment representative can be reached at 717.243.4431, ext. 212.

Free Fishing and Hunting Licenses for Certain Disabled Veterans

Certain disabled veterans are eligible for free fishing and hunting licenses. Application can be made at the Cumberland County Treasurer’s Office in the County Courthouse in Carlisle, PA.