- Health & Human Services
- Children & Youth Services
- Mandated Reporting
WHAT is a “mandated reporter?" Any individual required by law to report suspected child abuse. WHO are mandated reporters? If you come in direct contact with children in the course of your employment, occupation, practice of a profession or as a volunteer in a regularly scheduled program, activity or service you are considered a mandated reporter. More specifically mandated reporters include:
- A person licensed or certified to practice in any health-related field under the jurisdiction of the Department of State
- A medical examiner, coroner or funeral director
- An employee of a healthcare facility or provider licensed by the Department of Health, who is engaged in the admission, examination, care or treatment of individuals
- A school employee
- An employee of a child-care service who has direct contact with children in the course of employment
- A clergyman, priest, rabbi, minister, Christian Science practitioner, religious healer or spiritual leader of any regularly established church or other religious organization
- An individual paid or unpaid, who, on the basis of the individual's role as an integral part of a regularly scheduled program, activity or service, accepts responsibility for a child
- An employee of a social services agency who has direct contact with children in the course of employment
- A peace officer or law enforcement official
- An emergency medical services provider certified by the Department or Health
- An employee of a public library who has direct contact with children in the course of employment
- An individual supervised or managed by a person listed above, who has direct contact with children in the course of employment
- An independent contractor who has direct contact with children
- An attorney affiliated with an agency, institution, organization, or other entity, including a school or regularly established religious organization that is responsible for the care, supervision, guidance or control of children @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
HOW does a mandated reporter make a report if they suspect child abuse? Mandated reporters must make an immediate and direct report of suspected child abuse to ChildLine either electronically or by calling 1.800.932.0313.
WHERE does a mandated reporter get training? A list of training opportunities and information can be found online.
WHEN a mandated reporter fails to follow the law? The penalties for a mandated reporter who willfully fails to report child abuse range from a misdemeanor of second degree or a felony of the second degree.