- Agriculture, Development & Planning
- Planning Department
- Planning Commission
NOTE: December's CCPC meeting will be held via Zoom only. If you would like to attend a meeting via Zoom, please use this link. It is the same for all 2022 meetings.
https://ccpameet.zoom.us/j/91034762389 Meeting ID: 910 3476 2389
The Cumberland County Planning Department’s mission is to partner with our urban, suburban, and rural communities to implement plans that promote economic development, provide more housing and transportation choices, and protect clean air, land, and water.
The Commission’s functions shall include:
- Provide advice to the Commissioners of Cumberland County on all matters relevant to the mission of the Cumberland County Planning Commission
- Develop a County Comprehensive Plan with ongoing updates
- Interface with county agencies and adjacent county planning agencies to enhance regional planning and cooperation.
- Provide advice, review and recommendations to local officials concerning all matters relevant to local and regional planning.
- Foster cooperative efforts of its citizens and communities so as to promote the overall quality of life and betterment of the County.
The Commission’s goals shall include:
- The protection and preservation of our natural and cultural heritage to include open space, greenways and farmland preservation.
- The revitalization of our urban communities
- The development of our communities so as to afford a high quality of living standard
- The maintenance of a sustainable economy
- The mobilization and investment in the talents of our human resources
- The promotion of strong planning leadership, awareness, responsibility, and involvement in county and community planning issues.
- The coordination of planning priorities for transportation, economic development, tourism and other planning organizations within the County.
Adopted April 2002
As authorized by Section 201 of the Municipalities Planning Code, Cumberland County has both a Planning Commission and a Planning Department. The Cumberland County Planning Commission is comprised of nine County residents, providing representation from all areas of the County. Members are appointed by the County Commissioners to serve for a term of four years. The Cumberland County Planning Department includes the 6-member staff that executes the technical planning program as directed by the Planning Commission and Cumberland County Board of Commissioners. The Cumberland County Board of Commissioners adopted an ordinance (pdf) that created the organizational structure and specifically outlines the duties and responsibilities assigned to each planning agency.